The Board shall hold regular meetings at least once each year, at such time and place as the Board may designate. The Chair of the Board may call special meetings for the Board at any time through the year as such meetings are necessary.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 686.210
Stats. Implemented: ORS 686.210
Hist.: VMEB 1-2006, f. & cert. ef. 2-8-06
(1) “Agency”: Any animal control department, humane society, or facility which contracts with a public agency or arranges to provide animal sheltering services and is registered by the Oregon State Board of Pharmacy.
(2) “Board”: The Oregon State Veterinary Medical Examining Board.
(3) “Board of Pharmacy”: The Oregon State Board of Pharmacy.
(4) “Certified Euthanasia Technician or “CET”. A person who is employed by or a volunteer at a humane society or animal control agency and is certified by the Board pursuant to ORS 475.190(4). Any person who was trained prior to October 15, 1983 in euthanasia methods, in the course provided by Multnomah County Animal Control and the Oregon Humane Society, and who has been subsequently certified by the Board.
(5) “Client”: An entity, person, group or corporation that has entered into an agreement with a veterinarian for the purpose of obtaining veterinary medical services.
(6) “Comprehensive”: Pertaining to all animal species.
(7) “Conviction of Cruelty to Animals”: for purposes of ORS 686.130(11) is defined to include but not limited to animal abuse in the first or second degree, aggravated animal abuse in the first degree, and animal neglect in the first degree.
(8) “Designated Agent”: A CET who is responsible for the withdrawal and return of sodium pentobarbital from the drug storage cabinet.
(9) “Good Standing and Repute”: As used in ORS 686.045(1), means:
(a) A university accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA); or
(b) A foreign school listed by the AVMA whose graduates are eligible to apply for a certificate through the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) committee of the AVMA, or other programs approved by the Board.
(10) “Herd or Flock Animal”: Animals managed as a group only for economic gain including but not limited to breeding, sale, show, food production, or racing.
(11) “Mobile Clinic”: A vehicle, including but not limited to a camper, motor home, trailer, or mobile home, used as a veterinary medical facility. A mobile clinic is not required for house calls or farm calls.
(12) Surgery Procedure:
(a) “Aseptic Surgery”: Aseptic surgical technique exists when everything that comes in contact with the surgical field is sterile and precautions are taken to ensure sterility during the procedure.
(b) “Antiseptic Surgery”: Antiseptic surgical technique exists when care is taken to avoid bacterial contamination.
(c) Any injection or implant of a small permanent identification device is considered surgery.
(13) “Supervision” means that each act shall be performed by any employee or volunteer in the practice only after receiving specific directions from a licensed veterinarian.
(a) “Direct” supervision under this provision means both the certified veterinary technician and the licensed veterinarian are on the premises at the same time;
(b) “Immediate” supervision under this provision means that the supervising veterinarian is in the immediate vicinity of where the work is being performed and is actively engaged in supervising this work throughout the entire period it is being performed;
(c) “Indirect” supervision under this provision means that a CVT may, after receiving specific direction from an Oregon-licensed veterinarian, perform duties permitted under OAR 875-030-0040 at a client’s home or other location whtere the animal is kept. A valid VCPR must exist in order for a CVT to perform duties under indirect supervision.
(14) “Veterinary Client Patient Relationship (VCPR)”: Except where the patient is a wild or feral animal or its owner is unknown; a VCPR shall exist when the following conditions exist: The veterinarian must have sufficient knowledge of the animal to initiate at least a general or preliminary diagnosis of the medical condition of the animal. This means that the veterinarian has seen the animal within the last year and is personally acquainted with the care of the animal by virtue of a physical examination of the animal or by medically appropriate and timely visits to the premises where the animal is kept.
(15) “Veterinary Medical Facility”: Any premise, unit, structure or vehicle where any animal is received and/or confined and veterinary medicine is practiced, except when used for the practice of veterinary medicine pursuant to an exemption under ORS 686.040.
(16) “Veterinary Technician”: a person licensed by the Board as a Certified Veterinary Technician.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 686.210
Stats. Implemented: ORS 475.190, 609.405, 686.130, 686.255 & 686.510
Hist.: VMEB 1-2006, f. & cert. ef. 2-8-06; VMEB 2-2006, f. & cert. ef. 5-11-06; VMEB 1-2008, f. & cert. ef. 2-11-08; VMEB 6-2008, f. & cert. ef. 5-21-08; VMEB 7-2008, f. & cert. ef. 7-22-08; VMEB 5-2011(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 12-12-11 thru 6-9-12; Administrative correction, 6-27-12; VMEB 1-2012, f. & cert. ef. 6-25-12; VMEB 3-2012, f. & cert. ef. 8-28-12; VMEB 1-2014, f. & cert. ef. 1-17-14
Licensee’s Duty to Cooperate
Every licensee of the Board shall:
(1) Cooperate with the Board and respond fully and truthfully to inquiries from and comply with any request from the Board, subject only to the exercise of any applicable right or privilege.
(2) Undergo practice competency or other evaluations requested by the Board.
(3) Provide a home address and telephone number in addition to business location and contact information.
(4) Notify the Board within 30 days of a home or business address and telephone number change.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 686.210
Stats. Implemented: ORS 686.020, 686.045 & 686.065
Hist.: VMEB 1-2006, f. & cert. ef. 2-8-06; VMEB 2-2006, f. & cert. ef. 5-11-06
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved