LOG SCALING AGREEMENTS AND
SCALING FACILITY REQUIREMENTS
As used in OAR 629-034-0005 to 629-034-0015, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Agreement" means a memorandum of understanding, signed by the Forester and TPSO which describes the terms and conditions for TPSO scaling of state log loads.
(2) "Forester" means the State Forester or an authorized representative.
(3) "Log Load" means a group of logs that is transported as a unit. When multiple log loads are transported simultaneously, each will maintain its integrity for accountability.
(4) "Scaling" means the process of measuring and assigning net and gross volumes and grades to logs.
(5) "Scaling Facility" means an area and related improvements that are designed and constructed to allow easy access to log loads for scaling.
(6) "State" means the Oregon State Department of Forestry.
(7) "Third Party Scaling Organization" (TPSO) means an independent business that measures net and gross log volume and assigns grade by the rules adopted by the Northwest Log Rules Advisory Group.
The purpose of this rule is to:
(1) Require a TPSO to enter into an agreement with the State before the TPSO is authorized to scale log loads sold under state timber sale contracts;
(2) Outline scaling facility requirements which will promote consistent, accurate scaling of state log loads; and
(3) Protect the interest of the people of Oregon.
Third Party Scaling Agreement and Scaling Facility Requirements
(1) All state logs sold on a scale recovery basis shall be scaled only at approved locations by an authorized TPSO.
(2) In order to be authorized, a TPSO must enter into an agreement, on a form provided by the state, which specifies the manner and conditions under which state logs sold on a scale recovery basis shall be scaled.
(3) The TPSO must scale the logs at a facility which, in the Forester's opinion, meets the following requirements:
(a) The facility has a separate office space for the exclusive use of TPSO scalers and which provides adequate storage and security for state log load information;
(b) The facility provides safe and unobstructed access to the loads being scaled;
(c) The facility has a communication link which provides scalers immediate contact to the local state forestry office; and
(d) The facility provides protection of log and load accountability system.
Oregon State Archives • 800 Summer St. NE • Salem, OR 97310