PRIVATE VOCATIONAL SCHOOLS
581-045-0001 [Renumbered to 715-045-0001]
581-045-0003 [Renumbered to 715-045-0003]
581-045-0006 [Renumbered to 715-045-0006]
581-045-0007 [Renumbered to 715-045-0007]
581-045-0008 [Renumbered to 715-045-0008]
581-045-0009 [Renumbered to 715-045-0009]
581-045-0012 [Renumbered to 715-045-0012]
581-045-0013 [Renumbered to 715-045-0013]
581-045-0014 [Renumbered to 715-045-0014]
581-045-0018 [Renumbered to 715-045-0018]
581-045-0019 [Renumbered to 715-045-0019]
581-045-0022 [Renumbered to 715-045-0022]
581-045-0023 [Renumbered to 715-045-0023]
581-045-0029 [Renumbered to 715-045-0029]
581-045-0032 [Renumbered to 715-045-0032]
581-045-0033 [Renumbered to 715-045-0033]
581-045-0034 [Renumbered to 715-045-0034]
581-045-0036 [Renumbered to 715-045-0036]
581-045-0037 [Renumbered to 715-045-0037]
581-045-0038 [Renumbered to 715-045-0038]
581-045-0039 [Renumbered to 715-045-0039]
581-045-0060 [Renumbered to 715-045-0060]
581-045-0061 [Renumbered to 715-045-0061]
581-045-0062 [Renumbered to 715-045-0062]
581-045-0063 [Renumbered to 715-045-0063]
581-045-0064 [Renumbered to 715-045-0064]
581-045-0065 [Renumbered to 715-045-0065]
581-045-0066 [Renumbered to 715-045-0066]
581-045-0067 [Renumbered to 715-045-0067]
581-045-0068 [Renumbered to 715-045-0068]
581-045-0190 [Renumbered to 715-045-0190]
581-045-0200 [Renumbered to 715-045-0200]
581-045-0210 [Renumbered to 715-045-0210]
Fingerprinting of Subject Individuals Employed by Private Schools in Positions Not Requiring Licensure as Teachers, Administrators, Personnel Specialists, School Nurses
(1) Definitions of terms shall be as follows:
(a) "Subject individual" means:
(A) A person employed by a Private School in a position not requiring licensure under ORS 342.223; and
(B) Any person newly hired as or by a contractor into a position having direct, unsupervised contact with students and not requiring licensure under ORS 342.223.
(b) "Direct, unsupervised contact with students" means contact with students that provides the person opportunity and probability for personal communication or touch when not under direct supervision;
(c) "Fee" means the total charges assessed. Fees shall be paid to the Oregon Department of Education with submission of fingerprint cards and associated form. The fee amount and distribution shall be as follows:
(A) Oregon State Police (OSP) — $28;
(B) Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) — $16.50;
(C) Oregon Department of Education — $14.50;
(D) TOTAL — $59.
(d) "Information to be required" means all information requested by the Oregon Department of Education for processing the fingerprint application, including the following:
(A) One properly completed FBI fingerprint cards #USGPO 1990-262-201-2000; and
(B) A properly completed Department of Education form #581-2283-M.
(e) "Convictions of crimes prohibiting employment, contract or assignment by a contractor" means, notwithstanding any other statutes or Oregon administrative rule, conviction of a crime listed in ORS 342.143, or making a false statement as to the conviction of a crime;
(f) "Applicant" means a subject individual for whom fingerprint cards and other required information have been submitted to the Oregon Department of Education for a criminal history check and review;
(g) “Knowingly made a false statement” means that a subject individual has failed to disclose a crime on the Department of Education form #581-2283-M as part of the criminal background check process.
(h) "Private School" means a school that:
(A) Offers education in prekindergarten, kindergarten or grades 1 through 12, or any combination of those grade levels; and
(B) Provides instructional programs that are not limited solely to dancing, drama, music, religious or athletic instruction.
(2) A private school may request that Department of Education conduct a criminal records check of a subject individual. Upon receipt of the information, the Department shall request criminal information from the Department of State Police in the manner prescribed by law and may charge the private school a fee not to exceed the actual cost of acquiring and furnishing the information.
(3) The Oregon Department of Education shall review the criminal records of subject individual upon the private school's submission of the required FBI and state forms and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction or designee shall issue a statement of criminal history status. The Superintendent of Public Instruction or designee shall notify the private school if the subject individual has knowingly made a false statement as to conviction of a crime. A private school may choose to employ or contract with a person who has knowingly made a false statement as to conviction of a crime.
(4) The Oregon Department of Education shall not provide copies of criminal records to anyone except as provided by law. The subject individual may inspect his or her personal criminal records under the supervision of properly certified LEDS (Law Enforcement Data Systems) personnel at the Department of Education.
(5) The Superintendent of Public Instruction or designee shall notify the private school if the subject individual has been convicted of a crime listed in ORS 342.143, or the substantial equivalent of any of those crimes if the conviction occurred in another jurisdiction or in Oregon under a different statutory name or number. A private school may choose to employ or contract with a person who has been convicted of a crime listed in ORS 342.143 or the substantial equivalent.
(6) Only cards and forms approved by the Department of Education will be accepted. The Department of Education will return any incomplete or incorrectly completed fingerprint cards and associated forms without taking any other action. The Department of Education will return fingerprint cards and associated forms without appropriate fees without taking any other action.
(7) The Department of Education shall maintain a record of all properly submitted fingerprint cards. The record shall include at least the following:
(a) Card sequence number;
(b) Name of Private School submitting the cards;
(c) Date cards and Department form received;
(d) Date incomplete card returned to the school (only if applicable);
(e) Date completed card sent to Oregon State Police;
(f) Date private school was notified of state police record or lack of record;
(g) Date FBI card returned to Department;
(h) Date private school was notified of FBI record or lack of record.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 326.603
Stats. Implemented: ORS 326.603
Hist.: EB 16-1997, f. & cert. ef. 12-29-97; ODE 29-1999, f. 12-13-99, cert. ef. 12-14-99; ODE 13-2003(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 7-1-03 thru 12-15-03; Administrative correction 8-2-04; ODE 9-2006, f. & cert. ef. 2-21-06; Renumbered from 581-022-1732, ODE 25-2008, f. & cert. ef. 9-26-08; ODE 27-2009, f. & cert. ef. 12-10-09; ODE 7-2012, f. 2-1-12, cert. ef. 2-3-12; ODE 28-2012(Temp), f. 9-13-12, cert. ef. 9-17-12 thru 3-15-13; ODE 4-2013, f. & cert. ef. 1-17-13; ODE 11-2014, f. & cert. ef. 2-19-14
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved