The Oregon Administrative Rules contain OARs filed through December 15, 2016






Eastern Oregon University Use of Vehicles for University Business

(1) For purposes of this rule:

(a) "Vehicle" means cars, vans, trucks, and buses;

(b) "State-owned vehicle" means a vehicle owned by or registered in the name of the State of Oregon, the Board, or any institution;

(c) "Hired vehicle" means a vehicle that is leased, hired, or rented by the State, the Board, or any institution. This definition excludes borrowed vehicles;

(d) "Borrowed vehicle" means a vehicle that is not a "state-owned vehicle" or a "hired vehicle" but that is used on state business. "Borrowed vehicle" includes vehicles owned by employees, students, and others participating in institution activities, and used on state business;

(e) "State business" means any activity for which all or part of the expenses may be reimbursed by any unit, department, or program of the Department of Higher Education.

(f) "Officially sanctioned program" means any program undertaken to further the instructional, research or service missions of the institution or designed to promote the cultural and physical development of students. Such programs include but are not limited to:

(A) Academic department programs;

(B) Co-curricular programs;

(C) Intramural, recreational sports, club sports, and intercollegiate athletic programs;

(D) Any student programs or activities identified by the president or designee. Examples of such activities include but are not limited to student government, student housing activities, activities sponsored by student organizations that are consistent with the institution's mission.

(E) No motor vehicle owned, leased, or controlled by the state shall be used to transport students to an event or activity not directly related to an officially sanctioned program.

(2) Authorization for the use of a state vehicle will be based on the following:

(a) Athletic schedules will have priority if their request is turned in at the beginning of the term to cover their scheduled athletic contests during that term. If the schedules are not turned in at the beginning of the term, they will be served on a first come, first served basis.

(b) All use must be for the convenience of the college.

(c) Personal use is prohibited.

(3) Vehicles will be driven only by employees or agents of the university who are holders of a valid driver's license. Approval to drive vehicles on University business must be obtained from the Facilities and Planning Office. Driving record information for drivers will be verified with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Persons with physical impairments which might cause them to have problems operating a vehicle safely, having questionable driving records and citations for alcohol or other drug abuse, or who have been convicted of a major traffic offense, as defined in ORS 153.500, within three years of proposed operation are prohibited from driving vehicles on institution-approved business. It is the policy of Eastern to check the driving record of all faculty, staff, student and non-employee drivers and to reserve the right to check the driving record of any prospective driver. The Shipping and Receiving Office will maintain a current list of all approved drivers.

(4) When an employee uses his/her private vehicle on an authorized trip, the employee shall be reimbursed at the prevailing rate approved by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education. Vehicles used for state-authorized travel should be equipped as set forth in Subsection (6)(a) through (f).

(5) It is the responsibility of the driver of a vehicle to insure that there is an operable safety belt for every passenger.

(6) University motor pool vehicles are equipped and maintained to meet or exceed State of Oregon standards. It is the responsibility of the Motor Pool to verify before every trip that a vehicle is safe to operate and is equipped with the following required safety devices:

(a) Emergency reflector kit and/or flares;

(b) Ice scraper;

(c) Flashlight;

(d) First aid kit;

(e) Accident-reporting forms and instructions for handling emergencies;

(f) Tire chains or other approved traction devices when required by weather conditions.

(7) Vehicle inspection and emergency equipment inventory form is included in the "car book" supplied by the Shipping and Receiving Office -- the "car book" also includes credit cards for gas, oil, and emergency repairs and instructions to be followed if repairs are needed or there is an emergency -- and must be signed by the driver. The Motor Pool staff is responsible for insuring that the vehicle is in safe operating condition and that all emergency items are in the vehicle.

(8) The Shipping and Receiving Office (telephone number, 2-3570 should be notified if a vehicle is not in safe operating condition or if any of the above items are missing before the trip commences so that the vehicle can be repaired or missing items supplied. Any problems that develop with a vehicle during a trip that would cause it to be unsafe to operate must be repaired -- see instructions in "car book." All problems with a vehicle, no matter how minor, must be reported on the mileage report form included in the "car book" so they can be attended to by Motor Pool staff. Vehicles are inspected and serviced by Motor Pool staff after each trip. Private vehicles used on state business must be maintained in a safe operating condition and must carry the safety devices set forth in Section 6 of this rule.

(9) It is the responsibility of the driver to operate the vehicle in a safe manner. The maximum speed is the posted speed limit. Any driver of a state vehicle exceeding the speed limit may assume the responsibility in case of an accident resulting from speeds exceeding the posted speed limit. Individuals who receive a police citation while driving a state car shall be subject to disciplinary action and/or have driving privileges revoked. On lengthy trips, it is the responsibility of the driver to avoid drowsiness by making frequent rest stops and using certified relief driver.

(10) Group travel involving students: Trip itinerary information must be included on the Travel Authorization Form and should specify approximate departure and arrival times. A list of students traveling on field trips and other extracurricular activities or to athletic events must be filed with the Travel Authorization Form (see example in Appendix A). Information to be included on the student list includes the name, address, and telephone number of the person to be notified in the event of an emergency. This list will be forwarded by the Purchasing Agent/Risk Manager to the Vice President for Student Affairs. Student Travel Information Forms are available in School and Unit offices and on the Business Services Web Site.

(11) The names of all drivers must be included on the trip itinerary. Provisions must be made for the use of relief drivers during long trips. Please allow adequate time to research driving records through the Department of Motor Vehicles if alternate drivers have not previously been approved though the Shipping and Receiving Office.

(12) In the event of an injury accident, the following authorities are responsible for contacting relatives of travelers and must be notified immediately:

(a) Sheldon Nord, VP, Student Affairs; Student Injuries; O: 962-3635;

(b) Marvin Wigle, VP, Business, Finance & Facilities; Employee Injuries; H: 910-0408; O: 962-3773;

(c) Khosrow Fatemi, President; If unable to contact VP, Student Affairs; H: 963-3512; O: 962-3512.

(13) All accidents must be reported promptly following procedures outlined in the information included in the "car book."

(14) Lectures, classes, athletic contests, field trips and other extra-curricular activities will be cancelled when vehicle or weather conditions create unacceptable risk to the health and safety of vehicle passenger.

(15) Except in the case of authorized travel such as intercollegiate athletic trips, musical group tours, or other student activity which requires travel across state borders, no state vehicles will be used for travel outside of Oregon except for western Idaho, northern California and most of the state of Washington.

(16) Passengers are not permitted to ride in University vehicles unless they will be performing duties for the University at the destination.

(17) Use of university vehicles will be charged to School or Unit budgets at the following rates:

(a) 15 passenger vans -- $0.65 per mile;

(b) Sedans -- $0.45 per mile;

(c) 4-Wheel Drive Jeeps -- $0.50 per mile;

(d) Mini Vans -- $0.55 per mile.

(A) 24-hour notification of car request cancellation or $15.00 no-show charge assessed.

(B) Car books must be returned by 8:30 am following day of car usage (so the car can get serviced for next user) or $15 return charge.

(C) A minimum cleanup charge $10.00 for more than normal trash and dirt.

(D) Sedans driven 45 miles or less round trip charge $17.50. 15 passenger vans driven 45 miles or less round trip charge $28.50. All 4-wheel drives driven 45 miles or less roundtrip charge $20.00. All mini vans driven 45 miles or less roundtrip charge $22.50.

(E) The deductible for collision is $2500.00 per accident and will be borne by the department assigned the vehicle.

(F) Vehicles should be returned with full tanks of gas, or a $10.00 service fee will be added to the total charges.

(18) State vehicles are scheduled through the Shipping and Receiving Office and requests must be made on the form provided.

(19) Use of a Personal Car. Travel by private vehicle in lieu of a state vehicle may be authorized in order to permit a combination of official travel with a holiday or weekend trip, vacation, or for other valid personal reasons. Reimbursement for mileage is at the Oregon State System of Higher Education approved rate. Reimbursement is limited to the mileage the employee would have traveled on official business, and the meal and lodging allowance to which he or she would have been entitled while on official travel.

(20) Vehicles loaned to the University must meet the State of Oregon safety standards. Loaned vehicles MUST be inspected by Motor Pool staff and the approval of Vice President for Business, Finance & Facilities obtained before used.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 351.070
Stats. Implemented: ORS 351.070
Hist.: EOSC 1-1987, f. & ef. 12-28-87; EOSC 5-1995, f. & cert. ef. 2-16-95; EOU 2-2001, f. & cert. ef. 9-28-01; EOU 3-2005, f. & cert. ef. 7-7-05

The official copy of an Oregon Administrative Rule is contained in the Administrative Order filed at the Archives Division, 800 Summer St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97310. Any discrepancies with the published version are satisfied in favor of the Administrative Order. The Oregon Administrative Rules and the Oregon Bulletin are copyrighted by the Oregon Secretary of State. Terms and Conditions of Use