Medical Insurance Requirements for Nonimmigrant Foreign Students and Their Dependents
(1) To assist the University in complying with federal regulations, nonimmigrant foreign students admitted and enrolled at Southern Oregon University must demonstrate their ability to meet their financial responsibilities in full. These responsibilities include the provision by nonimmigrant foreign students for medical care for themselves and dependent family members while in the United States.
(2) All nonimmigrant foreign students admitted and enrolled part-or full-time at Southern Oregon University will be required to carry medical insurance for themselves and all their dependent family members in the United States.
(3) The medical insurance policy carried by each nonimmigrant foreign student must provide coverage with the maximum dollar limits at least comparable to the one offered through the University. The policy may be underwritten by a foreign insurance carrier, but it must be payable in the Untied States for medical expenses incurred in the United States.
(4) Such insurance policy must be in force continuously during the student's enrollment at SOU, commencing during the registration period of the student's first term at the University. Students are required to provide a 30-day notice to the University Director of Business Services if their insurance is cancelled or materially changed.
(5) Nonimmigrant foreign students must provide proof of adequate insurance coverage acceptable to the Foreign Student Office and the Business Office before they are permitted to register for classes. Documentation of such comparable coverage is to be provided by completing the "Foreign Student Medical Insurance Certification" form and receiving an authorized waiver. The form and waiver authorization will be available at the site of registration and in the Foreign Student Office. Documentation must indicate in English the insurance company's name and address for billing purposes, policy number, the effective dates of the policy, a list of persons covered by the policy, and a certification that the coverage limits meet the established minimums.
(6) If an enrolling nonimmigrant foreign student does not provide acceptable proof of adequate medical insurance for him- or herself and for dependent family members in the United States, the Foreign Student Office may restrict University registration and issuance of immigration documents (for travel, extensions of stay, employment requests, practical training, dependent matters, etc.) for the student and the student's dependent family members.
(7) Nonimmigrant foreign students may contest the factual premise underlying any decision to deny a comparable insurance waiver and any subsequent restriction allowed under section
(6) of this rule by presenting their documentation and arguments before the Vice President of Student Affairs or that person's designee.
(8) Pending the resolution of any dispute over a decision under this administrative rule, the student shall be permitted to register, and shall, in the event of an adverse decision compelling withdrawal from the University subsequent to registration, be guaranteed a refund of any tuition paid for the term in which withdrawal takes place.
(9) New nonimmigrant foreign students shall be notified in writing of these requirements by the Admissions Office with their letter of admittance. Returning nonimmigrant foreign students shall be notified in writing of these requirements by the Foreign Students Office.
(10) Foreign institution exchange agreements, foreign study agreements, and foreign visitation program agreements executed with SOU shall include a requirement that the sponsoring institution or organization is responsible for ensuring that its foreign participants are covered by medical insurance as required in sections (3) and (4) of this rule.
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • email@example.com
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved