Oregon State Lottery, Chapter 177
Rule Caption: Makes set prize funding source percentages for Powerball® and Power Play® consistent.
Adm. Order No.: LOTT 5-2012(Temp)
Filed with Sec. of State: 8-16-2012
Certified to be Effective: 8-16-12 thru 1-31-13
Notice Publication Date:
Rules Amended: 177-085-0065
Subject: The Oregon Lottery® has filed a Notice of Permanent Rulemaking Hearing, and has filed a temporary rule, to amend the above referenced administrative rule for the Powerball® game.
In the Powerball® game, when the money available to fund set prizes is not sufficient and the prizes become pari-mutuel, the funding sources are divided among the winning plays in proportion to their respective prize percentages. The proposed rulemaking, and the temporary rule, makes these percentages the same for Powerball® and Power Play® set prizes when they become pari-mutuel under these circumstances.
These changes are to implement changes to the Powerball® game rules made by the national organization that administers the multi-state Powerball® game, and are effective immediately.
Rules Coordinator: Mark W. Hohlt—(503) 540-1417
(1) General: Power Play® is an optional, limited extension of the Powerball® Game described in OAR division 85. The Lottery Director, in the Lottery Director’s sole discretion and based on agreements with MUSL, is authorized to initiate and terminate the Power Play® option.
(2) Set Prizes Only: Power Play® increases the amount of any of the cash Set Prizes (the cash prizes normally paying $4 to $1,000,000) won in a drawing. The Grand Prize Jackpot is not a Set Prize and will not be increased.
(3) Power Play® Purchase: A qualifying Power Play® option play is any single Powerball® Play for which the player selects the Power Play® option on either the game slip or by selecting the Power Play® option through a clerk-activated or player-activated terminal, pays one extra dollar for the Power Play® option play, and which is recorded at the Party Lottery’s central computer as a qualifying play.
(4) Qualifying Play: Except as otherwise provided in these rules, a qualifying play which wins one of the eight lump sum Set Prizes (excluding the Grand Prize Jackpot) shall be paid as follows: [Table not included. See ED. NOTE.]
(5) Power Play® Prize Pool: The prize pool for all prize categories shall consists of up to 49.96 percent of each drawing period’s sales, including any specific statutorily mandated tax on a Party Lottery to be included in the price of a lottery ticket, after the Powerball® prize reserve accounts are funded to the amounts set by the Product Group. Any amount remaining in the prize pool at the end of the Powerball® game shall be carried forward to a replacement game or expended in a manner as directed by the Product Group in accordance with state law.
(6) Power Play® Prize Reserve Accounts: An additional 0.04 percent of sales, including any specific statutorily mandated tax on a Party Lottery to be included in the price of a lottery ticket, may be collected and placed in the rollover account or in trust in one or more prize reserve accounts until the prize reserve accounts reach the amounts designated by the Product Group.
(7) Power Play® Payout: Except as otherwise provided in these rules, all prizes awarded shall be paid as lump sum set prizes. Instead of the Powerball® set prize amounts, qualifying Power Play® option plays will pay the Power Play® prize amounts shown in section (4) of this rule. In certain rare instances, and as determined under OAR 177-085-0025(3)(c) and section (9) of this rule, the Powerball® set prize amount may be less than the amount shown in section (4) of this rule. In such case, the eight Power Play® prize amounts will be changed to an amount announced after the draw.
(8) Prize Pool Carried Forward: The prize pool percentage allocated to the Power Play® set prizes shall be carried forward to subsequent draws if all or a portion of it is not needed to pay the set prizes awarded in the current draw.
(9) Pari-Mutuel Prizes – All Prize Amounts: If the total of the original Powerball® set prizes and the Power Play® prizes awarded in a drawing exceeds the percentage of the prize pools allocated to the set prizes, then the amount needed to fund the set prizes (including the Power Play® prize amounts) awarded shall be drawn from the following sources, in the following order:
(a) The amount allocated to the set prizes and carried forward from previous draws, if any;
(b) An amount from the Powerball® Set-Prize Reserve Account, if available in the account, not to exceed $40,000,000 per drawing; and
(c) If, after these sources are depleted, there are not sufficient funds to pay the set prizes awarded (including Power Play® prize amounts), then the highest set prize (including the Power Play® prize amounts) shall become a pari-mutuel prize. If the amount of the highest set prize, when paid on a pari-mutuel basis, drops to or below the next highest set prize and there are still not sufficient funds to pay the remaining set prizes awarded, then the next highest set prize, including the Power Play® prize amount, shall become a pari-mutuel prize. This procedure shall continue down through all set prizes levels, if necessary, until all set prize levels become pari-mutuel prize levels. In that instance, the money available from the funding sources listed in this rule shall be divided among the winning plays in proportion to their respective prize percentages. Powerball® and Power Play® prizes will be reduced by the same percentage.
(10) Prize Payment: All Power Play® prizes shall be paid in one lump sum. The Lottery may begin paying Power Play® prizes after receiving authorization to pay from the MUSL central office.
(11) Prizes Rounded: Prizes, which under these rules may become pari-mutuel prizes, may be rounded down so that prizes can be paid in whole dollars. Breakage resulting from rounding these prizes shall be carried forward to the prize pool for the next drawing.
[ED. NOTE: Tables referenced are available from the agency.]
OR Const. Art. XV, Sec. 4(4) & ORS 461
Stats. Implemented: ORS 461
Hist.: LOTT 3-2001(Temp), f. 3-1-01, cert. ef 3-2-01 thru 8-29-01; LOTT 10-2001, f. 5-25-01, cert. ef. 5-29-01; LOTT 9-2002(Temp), f. 9-4-02, cert. ef. 10-6-02 thru 3-31-03; LOTT 1-2003, f. & cert. ef. 2-3-03; LOTT 7-2005(Temp), f. 8-8-05, cert. ef. 8-28-05 thru 2-23-06; LOTT 23-2005, f. 12-21-05, cert. ef. 12-31-05; LOTT 11-2008, f. 11-21-08, cert. ef. 1-4-09; LOTT 10-2010, f. 11-19-10, cert. ef. 12-12-10; LOTT 9-2011, f. 12-20-11, cert. ef. 1-15-12; LOTT 10-2011(Temp), f. 12-22-11, cert. ef. 1-15-12 thru 7-7-12; LOTT 2-2012, f. 4-30-12, cert. ef. 5-1-12; LOTT 5-2012(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 8-16-12 thru 1-31-13