Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision, Chapter 255
Rule Caption: Amends the rules to include the notice of rights.
Adm. Order No.: PAR 2-2012(Temp)
Filed with Sec. of State: 6-28-2012
Certified to be Effective: 6-28-12 thru 12-25-12
Notice Publication Date:
Rules Amended: 255-030-0013, 255-032-0022, 255-075-0025
Subject: This rulemaking formally adopts the notice-of-rights forms for general Board hearings, murder reviews (aggravated murder) hearings, and sanction hearings.
Rules Coordinator: Shawna Harnden—(503) 945-0913
Notification of Hearing
(1) The Board shall send written notice of the hearing and its purpose to the inmate. The inmate shall receive a copy of the Board Review Packet, including the notice of rights (Exhibit NOR-1), at least 14 days prior to the hearing.
(2) If the inmate did not receive 14 days notice, the Board may reschedule the hearing or the inmate may waive the notice and the Board shall conduct the hearing.
(3) The Board shall attempt to notify the victim, if the victim requests notification and furnishes the Board a current address, and the District Attorney of the committing county at least ninety (90) days before all hearings by sending written notice to the current addresses of both parties.
ORS 144.120(7) & 144.130
Stats. Implemented: ORS 144.120(7) & 144.130
Hist.: 2PB 4-1986(Temp), f. & ef. 12-2-86; PAR 3-1987, f. & ef. 4-28-87; PAR 6-1988, f. & ef. 5-19-88; PAR 4-1989, f. & ef. 11-1-89; PAR 1-1990(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 2-20-90; PAR 2-1990, f. & cert. ef. 4-5-90; PAR 8-1992, f. & cert. ef. 10-9-92; PAR 3-1997, f. 3-11-97, cert. ef. 3-14-97; PAR 7-2010, f. & cert. ef. 9-3-10; PAR 8-2010, f. & cert. ef. 9-29-10; PAR 2-2012(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 6-28-12 thru 12-25-12
Murder Review Hearings Notice
The Board’s notice (Exhibit NOR-3MR) must include:
(1) A statement that the sole issue to be considered shall be whether or not the inmate is likely to be rehabilitated within a reasonable period of time, and that the inmate shall have the burden of proof, by a preponderance of the evidence;
(2) A statement of the inmate’s right to be represented by counsel; and if the inmate is without sufficient funds, counsel will be appointed by the Board at Board expense;
(3) A statement that the Board has authority and jurisdiction to hold a hearing on the issue pursuant to ORS 163.105(2) or 163.115(5); and
(4) A statement of rights of the inmate at the hearing.
ORS 183.415, 163.105(2), 163.115(5)
Hist.: PAR 2-2007(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 2-1-07 thru 7-30-07; PAR 5-2007, f. & cert. ef. 7-30-07; PAR 2-2012(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 6-28-12 thru 12-25-12
Rights at Hearing
(1) The designee of the Sanction Authority (eg. Hearings Officer) shall provide the offender a written notice of the hearing at least three (3) working days prior to the hearing.
(2) The hearing notice shall include:
(a) A Notice of Rights as provided in ORS 144.343(3) (Exhibit NOR-2);
(b) A written statement of alleged violations;
(c) Any documents or evidence which form the basis of the alleged violations; and
(d) The date and location of the hearing.
(3) The offender may elect to waive the three working day notification period prior to the hearing and begin the hearing immediately.
(4) If the offender elects to waive the three working day notification period, the Hearings Officer shall obtain a written waiver or tape record the offender’s verbal statement waiving the three working day notification period.
(5) The Hearings Officer shall ascertain whether the offender has understood the allegations and the offender’s rights and whether the offender can read, hear and understand the language of the proceedings. The Hearings Officer shall postpone the hearing if needed assistance is not readily available.
Stats. Implemented: ORS 144.096, 144.098, 144.102, 144.106, 144.108, 144.346 & Ch. 525 OL 1997 (Enrolled SB 156)
Hist.: 2PB 1-1979, f. & ef. 2-1-79; 2PB 1-1984(Temp), f. & ef. 11-19-84; 2PB 1-1985, f. & ef. 2-28-85; PAR 1-1988(Temp), f. 3-11-88, ef. 3-14-88; PAR 6-1988, f. & ef. 5-19-88; PAR 3-1989, f. 10-13-89, ef. 10-16-89; PAR 8-1992, f. & cert. ef. 10-9-92; PAR 11-1997(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 11-14-97; PAR 1-1998, f. & cert. ef. 5-11-98; PAR 2-2012(Temp), f. & cert. ef. 6-28-12 thru 12-25-12
Oregon Secretary of State • 136 State Capitol • Salem, OR 97310-0722
Phone: (503) 986-1523 • Fax: (503) 986-1616 • firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 State of Oregon All Rights Reserved