Oregon Historical County Records Guide
Gilliam County History
Gilliam County Courthouse
Gilliam County's western border is formed by the John Day River, named after a member of the Astor-Hunt overland party. Entrepreneur John Jacob Astor sent the party west from St. Louis in 1810 with the goal of setting up a post at the mouth of the Columbia River. Astor wanted to dominate fur trapping in the region.
The expedition became divided and widely separated. Experiencing incredible hardships, John Day's group dwindled to two people. Close to the mouth of the river that would later bear his name, Day and Ramsey Crooks were attacked by hostile Indians and robbed of everything--even their clothes. While they were soon rescued, one source claimed that Day later went insane and died in 1814. (Oregon Blue Book; Oregon Geographic Names)
The Legislative Assembly created Gilliam County on February 25, 1885 from the eastern third of Wasco County. Residents argued that they were too far from the county seat in The Dalles. In 1899 a portion of southern Gilliam County was used to form Wheeler County. Gilliam County is bordered today by the Columbia River to the north, Wasco and Sherman Counties to the west, Morrow and Grant Counties to the east, and Wheeler County to the south. Gilliam County's area is now 1,223 square miles. It was named after Colonel Cornelius Gilliam who died accidentally while commanding the Oregon volunteers during the Cayuse War of 1847.
When the Legislative Assembly created Gilliam County, Alkali (now Arlington) was selected as the temporary county seat. The question of a permanent county seat was placed on general election ballots in 1886, 1888, and again in 1890 when Condon was finally chosen. Condon, which was incorporated in 1893, was originally known as Summit Springs. In 1884 the community took the name of a young lawyer from Alkali, Harvey C. Condon, nephew of the state geologist and university professor Thomas Condon.
Once the question of the location of the county seat was settled, voters in Gilliam County proved reluctant to provide a courthouse in Condon. After the county seat moved to Condon in 1890, county government operated out of a two-room house until 1903 when the county court appropriated money to construct a courthouse. This structure was destroyed by a fire in 1954 that caused heavy losses to the contents of the building, including a large number of county records. The next year, the county replaced the burned structure with the present courthouse built on the same site.
Gilliam County continues to have a county court form of government. Elected officials now include two county commissioners, a county judge, district attorney, assessor, clerk, sheriff, surveyor, justice of the peace, and treasurer.
The county's population dropped sharply from a high of 3,960 residents in 1920 to 1,717 in 1990. After a significant increase during the 1990s, the 2013 population of 1,945 represented a 4% increase from 2010.
For many years, Indians had traversed the county on well-worn trails to reach fishing, hunting, foraging, and trading areas. Many of these trails are still visible in the rangeland. The first non-native people in the area included Americans following the Oregon Trail to the Willamette Valley. In the late 19th century, new settlers arrived from the midwestern and eastern United States and Europe. Many settlers were part of the larger reverse migration of people who had originally settled in the Willamette Valley.
Gilliam County is in the heart of the Columbia Basin wheat area. Its economy is based primarily on agriculture centering on wheat, barley, and beef cattle. Apples and other irrigated crops have become an important part of the economy of the north end of the county. After agriculture and livestock, other principal industries of Gilliam County include tourism, waste management, hunting, and fishing. Wind turbine farms have become a significant presence on the county's landscape in recent years as well.